Sunday, September 11, 2011

From Aai-Baba and Dada to Mãe-Pai e Irmão

Parents... The most important people in your life. They help you learn the basic things needed to live life as a good human being. They help you to talk, walk, and be one of them. Most of your personality depends upon their teachings and whatever you are, it's because of them.
My Father, Antonio and Me.
  It's the same for me here. It's a whole new world out here and it's the same compared to me being born. I'm born in a different country now. The parents here help me learn to 'talk', their language. Act, Like a Brazilian, the culture, the differences. And then I can be one of them. One very important thing that I learnt here is that you do not need to learn the language to communicate. No. Not necessary. It's the feeling that you need to understand. My mother here cannot speak English, I cannot speak Portuguese. No problem. We can communicate daily without much problem!
My Mother, Lidia and Me.
 In a country where I do not understand a thing that is being spoken, I need people I can trust. Though I have just known 'My Parents' for not more than 20 days, I trust them. I dont know why, but I do and it's the same for them as well. Having a kid coming to your home from a different country, different culture is very challenging. But they have adapted to me very well and I thank them for that.
My Brother, Leo and Me.
I also have a brother here, an elder one. Just like it is back home. AND MY GOD, HE IS FUN! Parents, yeah, I know they are always there for me, but, a person also needs someone to understand them like no-one else does. And that's what I found in my brother here. Even though he has to work and go to college everyday, whatever time I get to spend with him, is time spent well.

Bottomline, I have no regrets. I love my family here as much as I love my family back home and I'm proud of the fact that I have become a medium for the two families to be friends for the rest of our lives. And that's really important :)

3 comments: